Strawberry and Ginger Trifle
Celebrate the King's Coronation in good taste with this delightfully VEGAN Strawberry & Ginger Trifle recipe
Base Layer - Vegan Parkin
180g golden syrup, 100g Treacle, 200g brown sugar, 130g vegan butter, 100g oats, 250g plain flour, 2 1/2 tsp baking powder, pinch of salt, 3 1/2 tsp ginger spice, 1 tsp mixed spice and 160ml soy milk. (You can also use a store bought ginger cake).
400g Strawberries and 2 tbsp sugar make up the sweet fruity layer,
1/2 packet of Wibble Strawberry Vegan Jelly Crystals (57g)
400ml boiling water
1 tbsp Ground Ginger
500ml Ready Made Custard - We used a vegan variety
1) Preheat the oven to 180/160 degrees. Grease a 23cm square cake tin and line it with baking parchment.
2) Whisk together the oats, plain flour, baking powder, ground ginger, mixed spice and salt in a large bowl.
3) Place the brown sugar, butter, golden syrup and treacle in a saucepan over a low heat. Cook, stirring often, until melted and smooth. Don't let the mixture boil.
4) Pour the syrup mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients. Pour the milk into the pan that had the syrup in and give it a stir to pick up any sticky bits that may be left in the pan.
5) Add the milk to the bowl then stir everything together until no dry lumps remain.
6) Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and spread it level. Bake for about 30 minutes until firm the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7) Leave the parkin to cool in the tin then cut into bars and add to a glass trifle
8) Remove the tops from 400g Fresh Strawberries. Cut very large ones into 4 slices or quarters, large ones into three and medium and small strawberries in half.
9) Add the strawberries to a bowl and sprinkle over 2 tbsp Sugar.
10) Leave for 20 mins then pour into a dish over your ginger cake.
11) Pour wibble crystals into a jug, then add 400ml of boiling water. Leave to cool slightly and add to trifle dish.
12) Mix your ground ginger into ready-made custard and add to trifle dish.
13) Add icing sugar to double cream and whisk thoroughly until soft peaks begin to form. Add to trifle dish and then decorate as you please!
Here are some ideas for decorations:
Fruit- Strawberries/ Raspberries